Book Review: Clarity by Kim Harrington

Clarity, her mother, and her brother Perry are mediums. They all have their own special talents: Clarity can tell the emotions and thoughts of a person just by holding an object they touched. Her mother can read thoughts. Her brother can commune with the dead.

Together, they live a fairly peaceful life on Cape Cod. Aside from strange looks and few taunts here and there, Clarity's life is pretty normal. That is, until she becomes an integral part of a local police investigation. She is paired with the son of the new detective in town to help solve a grisly murder case--One where a teen girl was shot in her hotel bedroom. And, Clarity's handsome brother is the prime suspect.

Clarity has to work with the police, without leading them to her brother. Because, as sure as she is that he didn't kill the tourist teen, she knows that all of the evidence points to Perry. Desperate, she puts her own life in danger as she digs further and further into this case. And the bodies keep coming. Hers could very well be next.

Wow. This is one read that you won't want to miss in 2011. Anyone who is a fan of the paranormal genre, suspense, a thriller, and a great YA story will want to read this book. It is a quick read, and I did not want to put it down. I finished it in under two days. Sure, I lengthened Silent Sustained Reading by a few minutes every class period. None of my students said anything, so I took that as a reason to keep reading!

This book doesn't come out until March. I read it as part of an ARC tour on Book It Forward Tours, but will definitely buy a copy for my classroom when it's up for sale. I loved the characters, the dialogue, the setting, and the suspense. I can't wait to read more by this debut author!