Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Book Review: Hunger by Jackie Morse Kessler

As Lisabeth drifts in and out of a sort of hunger-induced fantasy, she struggles to balance the stresses of her every day life with the pressure of her new post. She's been appointed "Famine" and is one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. This is a huge honor, but a huge task as well. Does Lisabeth have the strength to soldier on?

So, this book is not what I expected. Which is not necessarily a bad thing. The main character has a serious eating disorder and is in complete denial about the reality of her shrinking body. She is skeletal. I'm not trying to give away anything that happens in this book, but I think it's good to know in case it could be of help to a teen who's struggling with an eating disorder.

This book is hard to read. Not just because of the main character's anorexia, but because of her fantasy. I wanted to shake her and wake her up and help her. Every time she slipped into her role as Famine, I felt her slipping away from me. It was scary.

This is a hugely unique and creative story. It was not what I was expecting, but I was definitely moved by Lisabeth's journey.  It is short and quick but so, so powerful. I am interested to read Jackie Morse Kessler's next book, Rage, which is due in the first part of 2011.

8 comments:

  1. Interesting review. I like Kessler's other writing, so I've been wanting to get my hands on this book. Ordered it for the library --- now, just waiting.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed this one as well but yes it does have some very heavy issues that are very real. I found myself having to sit it down at times when I heard the "thin" voice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for showing this. Looks really interesting

    ReplyDelete
  4. After reading Laurie Halse Anderson's Wintergirls, which was an amazing book about an anorexic girl, I like that this book has the originality of the fantasy attached to the story. Wintergirls was a hard read too, and not a book I could keep on my middle school shelves. It sounds like this one would also be more for HS than MS. Thanks for the terrific review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried this and gave up. When I wasn't cringing, I wanted to slap her. I may try it again. Awesome review. You highlighted the same things I was thinking :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also wanted to help the MC. It was a quick, powerful read. My eye is also on Rage.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing your review. I'm intrigued by Hunger. It sounds like a challenging book to read, but also like a powerful and memorable story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hunger sounds like the kind of story that needs to be read. I'll have to check this one out.

    Cinette
    http://cinettesmusings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails