Book Review: Plus by Veronica Chambers

The main character of Plus doesn't start as a plus-sized model, but after a rough break-up with her first real boyfriend, Beatrice, aka Bee, Wilson is discovered as America's next best full-figured beauty. She takes the modeling world by storm, but is secretly lusting after the jerk who broke her heart. Even though she now has money, fans and fame, Bee does not truly have the confidence of a supermodel. She acts like she loves her body, but still seeks attention from men who treat her like dirt.

This is not a deep novel. It's super cute and fun and lighthearted. I was hoping for a more weighty (no pun intended) read. I was disappointed that Bee became heavier and had been naturally slim before. I felt like a girl who had struggled with weight and criticism because of her size would be a much more realistic and endearing character.

But, this is a perfect beach read. It's summery and sorta makes you think, but not so hard that your brain cells are all that taxed. I was hoping to choose this read for the Chick Lit Book Club, but it's a little too light for my girls. They're used to dealing with some serious subject matter. This is a good one for my free reading shelf at the back of the room. And, the cover is adorable. I love it.