Sunday, August 22, 2010

Book Review: Matched by Ally Condie

Can you imagine a world where almost every decision, from what you eat to how you dress to the person you marry, is made for you? Where officials choose your vocation, where you will live, and when you will have children?

At first glance, the world that Cassia grows up in is safe and friendly. Everyone in her neighborhood is pleasant and supportive of one another. There is little competition and everyone is accepted. Even when a new boy, Ky Markham, moves in from an outer province, he is accepted into the fold, no questions asked.

But, when Cassia sees Ky's face mistakenly pop up on her informational microchip the day after she's matched with another boy, she can't help but wonder about the strange boy who's been around her for all of these years. Where did he come from? Why is he so quiet? What does he know?

*  *  *
I read this book as part of an ARC tour, but would gladly rush out a buy a copy today if it were available. It is amazing. I loved it. I want my own copy.  It comes out in November of this year.

If you're a fan of dystopian lit, this is a book that you'll want to read. The world that is created within these pages is so eerie, so dangerous, and so complex that you'll want to understand it more. The book leaves off with a serious cliffhanger, so I'm hoping that there will be more books to come.

In the wake of the end of the Hunger Games series, maybe Matched will become a new series to obsess over? That might be a tall order, but this series has potential, for sure. If you at all have a chance to read this book, you should!

13 comments:

  1. i think i'm going to love this one too :) i've pre-ordered my copy already - cant wait/ so great to hear youve officially declared it awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I am a fan of dystopian lit so I had this one on my radar for awhile. A cliffhanger as well? I'm glad you liked it- I can't wait to read it now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review!! I just got this book in the mail for review, I can't wait to read it. And I just LOVE the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got two copies of this book on the way. :D Hehe. One ARC, one finished, pre-order via Amazon.

    Can't wait to get to read this one! Ever since Uglies, I've been a fan of Dystopic YA lit. Also, Matched seems to give off a similar feel that Uglies did. The whole "people are controlled" thing...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the review! This is on my wishlist. I can't wait to finally read this book.

    Misha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, so now I'm really glad I got a copy for review! Awesome review :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my comparing to Hunger Games it must be good. I have this pre-ordered and now I am glad I do. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really want to read this book. I wish there was a way to get Arcs for keeps.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooo! I've been wanting to read this one for a while now. If you even THINK it might be as good as THG, then I'm sure it's excellent! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved this one too! It is definitely one of my favorite debut novels of 2010 so far. It reminded me a little of The Giver.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so looking forward to reading this. Thanks for the great review.
    Lisa ~ YA Literature Lover

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just got this ARC in the mail - I literary jumped up and down - I can NOT wait to read it, though it's not due out till Nov so TRYING to wait a bit and read other stuff that's due out sooner, but EAK love your review sooooo excited!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great review! I'm so jealous of all of those getting the chance to read it early as I really love the sound of it!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails