Wednesday, June 16, 2010

On My Wishlist: Bella Should Have Dumped Edward


One of the best aspects of the whole Twilight debate, in my opinion, is that there is a debate at all. Whether you think that the Bella/ Edward affair was a great romance or puke-worthy, I think that it is awesome that people care enough to feel passionately one way or the other. Because, in between arguments, people are reading. Thousands of pages. An English teacher's blissful dream!

I've read the entire series. Was I entertained? Yes. Did I think that these books were brilliant literature? Hardly. Do I think that Edward's dominance and control over Bella has influenced a generation of young adults to engage in risky relationships? I certainly hope not!

It is interesting that most of my students read this entire series last year during our SSR time (Silent Sustained Reading), yet not a single student read any of these books this year during SSR. Is that because most of them have already read the series? Maybe. I think, though, that as the movies have come out, the popularity of the series has decreased. It's like the opposite of the Harry Potter series. Those books seemed to gain in popularity with each movie release.

I am excited to read a variety of opinions from other bloggers--even though I've read a ton online already--in book format. Interesting topic and a great debate!

6 comments:

  1. It's like what people said back here when Chetan Bhagat's books came out - Whatever the quality may be, young adults at least got to reading something!.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baahhahahaha. I want. Actually... I need to finish Nightlight too. Lolz. And omg SSR lolz. Oh fond memories of school. Not. I love reading, but being forced to read is just plain annoying.

    *shudders* I remember when everyone was lugging around those books at the highschool It was horrible!!! I wanted to take their stupid books and t-shirts and rip them to shreds! Thank god the hype has finally died down. phew!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read the series as they were published and found them quite entertaining. Great liturature hardly but still fun reads. My middle school students were also reading them when I was, and some still are, but most have moved onto other vamp series.

    The fact that a controversy over the books still rages, I think speaks to the popularity of the books, and therefore speaks to Meyer's ability to write. Fan or not keeping the books in the limelight only spurs new readers to check out what all the fuss is about and Meyer is the winner.

    One last thought, you mentioned Edwards dominance over Bella, and I would have to disagree. I do not think he dominated Bella, I view Bella as having more influence over Edward.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love talking about books but some people can get way to crazy and critical about them. I didn't even think that much about the dominance thing when I was reading the books, I see where people are coming from now, but it didn't bother me when I was reading it, I saw it more that he was just so in love with her. The thing that stuck out more to me was that they just see each other and are so intensely in love with each other, but it's the same with Romeo and Juliet, you can't spend forever with a star-crossed lovers love story just explaining how they fell in love because you have to get to the star-crossed/tragedy part. I read Twilight way before it was a craze and I remember telling everyone about it and they looked at me like I was crazy when I said she fell in love with this guy...but he's a vampire. And then I kind of got annoyed when people went crazy for the series. I've heard of Harry Potter being banned because of the whole magical-ness of it. I agree, if a kid likes it and he/she is reading, at least he/she is getting the whole concept of stories and how they fit together and move along, it's still beneficial even if it's not necessarily the best writing. This book looks amusing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooh, I want this book really badly too ! Mainly because I was one of the lucky fans who's comment made it in ! But I do love reading what others think of the same series that I love

    ~Alison

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails