Book Review: The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner

Because I haven't had internet service for about five days, I have read a ton of books and am therefore super behind in my reviews. I don't really want to pump put a bunch of reviews just-because, so I may do one-ish a day until I'm caught up. There are a bunch of books that I am excited to review, and this is certainly one of them.

I did not exactly love this book. I'm not going to rave about it here, but I'm also not going to rant. I've read a few reviews online where other bloggers seem upset that this book was even written. I don't know that the writing was as good as it could have been, but I think that it was a pretty cool idea on Ms. Meyer's part to go back and develop a majorly minor character for her readers.

Truthfully, I didn't really remember Bree Tanner at all from the series. I realized who she was toward the end of the book, when her life crossed paths with Bella. Part of what made this read intriguing for me was that intersection, and I wish that there had been more of it. I also wish that Bree's first life had been develop more--maybe starting the book before she turned into a vampire, but I guess that Meyer probably wanted to write a short novella and not another epic. Which is fine.

Compared to the rest of the series, this read is a bit like a breakfast bar next to a trucker's special. Rather than being disappointed, though, I think that I was happy to have read a Twilight-type text in just a couple of hours. It was fairly light, had a lot of action, and I got to move on to another book in no time. For all of these reasons, it was worth my while!