On My Wishlist: An Off Year

At the end of the school year, I always make sure that I'm talking about and reading about journeys with my seniors. I think that adults tend to downplay how scary and crazy and jumbled that last year of high school can be. So, I like to address the fact that kids are making a huge transition and the fact that their lives are forever changing with books. Ah, books. They're so awesome!

I'm interested in gathering a whole collection of books with a central "journey" theme. An Off Year by Claire Zulkey seems to fit this goal. It's about a girl who decides to put off college for a year. I don't know much more about this book than that, but I think it's enough of a connection to the journey theme to have it available to seniors who are grappling with the tough decision of whether or not to head off to college or to work or explore for a year.

Plus, the cover feature fuzzy pink shag carpeting and bunny slippers. How cool is that?!