Challenge: Read YALSA's Top Nominees

Tattooed Books (what a great blog name!) is offering up a summer reading challenge that promotes great books and fits in nicely with other challenges I'm participating in. There are prizes to be had, but really, I love participating in these challenges for the little communities that develop around them. I discover new blogs and bloggers and books whenever I become involved in a challenge. It's pretty exciting.

And, I'm committed to reading a gagillion books this summer. Well, maybe just billion. We'll see. But, I want to come back to school in September with my classroom's free reading shelves teeming with enticing new reads for my students. Many of my kiddos have plowed through my shelves this year and my shelves need to be freshened. This challenge should help!

There are three levels in this challenge. They are:

Solo: read 1-8 books
Duet: read 9-17 books
Three-Part Harmony: read 18-16 books

These are the books that are listed to be voted on for YALSA's Top Ten Awards. I have bolded the ones I've already read and linked the book titles to my book review posts, which Tattoed Books says still count toward this challenge.

Abbott, Ellen Jensen. Watersmeet

Anderson, Laurie Halse. Wintergirls

Brown, Jennifer. Hate List

Carter, Ally. Heist Society

Cashore, Kristin. Fire

Clare, Cassandra. City of Glass

Clayton, Emma. The Roar

Collins, Suzanne. Catching Fire

Dessen, Sarah. Along for the Ride

Fisher, Catherine. Incarceron

Fitzpatrick, Becca. hush, hush

Forman, Gayle. If I Stay

Garcia, Kami and Margaret Stohl. Beautiful Creatures

Geektastic: Stories from the Nerd Herd. Edited by Holly Black and Cecil Castellucci.

Golding, Julia. Dragonfly

Jinks, Catherine. The Reformed Vampire Support Group

Lieb, Josh. I Am a Genius of Unspeakable Evil and I Want to Be Your Class President

Ockler, Sarah. Twenty Boy Summer

Patterson, James. Witch and Wizard

Peters, Julie Anne. By the Time You Read This, I'll Be Dead

Pierce, Tamora. Bloodhound

St. Crow, Lili. Strange Angels

Stiefvater, Maggie. Shiver

Tanigawa, Nagaru. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Westerfeld, Scott. Leviathan

Yep, Laurence. City of Fire


I have read six books on this list already. I know that many of you have read several of these titles already because I've seen your book reviews. There are several books on this list that are either on my To Be Read shelf or will be soon. Here are the other books that I plan to read for this challenge:

Abbott, Ellen Jensen. Watersmeet

Carter, Ally. Heist Society

Cashore, Kristin. Fire

Clare, Cassandra. City of Glass

Clayton, Emma. The Roar


Dessen, Sarah. Along for the Ride

Fitzpatrick, Becca. hush, hush

Garcia, Kami and Margaret Stohl. Beautiful Creatures

Geektastic: Stories from the Nerd Herd. Edited by Holly Black and Cecil Castellucci.

Ockler, Sarah. Twenty Boy Summer


Pierce, Tamora
. Bloodhound

Westerfeld, Scott
. Leviathan

Looks like I have a lot of reading to do. This is going to be an awesome summer!