Spring Break Reading Challenge: What Floats Your Boat?

Here are the instructions for today's Spring Break Reading Challenge:

1. Create a post about your favorite genre. What do you read the most and why? Look at the books you've read this year so far? How many of those book are ones that fit in your favorite genre?

2. Come back here and link your post to Mr. Linky.


3. After some other people have posted about their favorite genres, go by and visit them. At least a couple to say hello.


Okay. The second part of this assignment is going to be much easier than the first. I love going to visit other blogs and have checked out every blog from every blogger who's linked to this challenge. That's super fun to me.

But, it's a lot harder to think about my favorite genre to read. I mostly like them all. Well, I guess that I can narrow this list down a little. I definitely don't like to read about sports--even sports like mountain climbing. Adventure is kinda the same way for me. I'm not into thrill-seekers. I also don't love mysteries too much. I like to have to figure out what's going to happen in a story, but I'm not into Sherlock Holmes or Agatha Christie. I love, love, love to read poetry, but I don't know that it's my favorite genre to curl up with on a Sunday afternoon. I do love historical fiction, but it's not at the top of my list. There's just not enough that I've read and loved to be a tip-top favorite.

What's left? This is what I was afraid of. It's between realistic fiction and fantasy/ science fiction. Three or four years ago, I would have said definitely realistic fiction. But, there have been so many awesome fantasy/ science fiction titles that have landed in my top reads of all time. Realistic fiction is great, too, but I guess that there are so many titles out there and so much that's not done well that fantasy/ science fiction is going to be the winner. Here are some of my recent favorites that I would include in my top reads of all time:

The Hunger Games series

Shiver

Life As We Knew It

The Knife of Never Letting Go series

The Adoration of Jenna Fox

And there it is. I've crossed over to the dark side of dystopian, fantastical, and science fiction lit. So, bring on any other suggestions for great reads!