Spring Break Reading Challenge: Last But Not Least


Karin the Librarian is celebrating the first day of Spring with a huge blizzard. Here, all of our snow has melted and is causing a muddy mess. I guess I'd rather have snow! (It was actually 70 degrees outside yesterday--Weird for the mountains of Maine!)
So, rather than think about daffodils and tulips, we're going to pay homage to some wintery reads. Here are the instructions from the Spring Break Reading Challenge:

I want you to find 5 books. These 5 books need to meet a certain criteria. These 5 books need to either be about or take place in a winter wonderland. In other words, snow, ice, or other winter-like weather needs to be involved.

Create a post on your blog with the titles, covers, and book descriptions.
Here are the five six books I chose for this challenge:


Peak by Roland Smith. This is the first book that came to my mind and it is sitting on my To Be Read pile. I've been putting it off because I'm not a huge adventure reader, but I think I'm going to have to start it soon because I probably won't want to read it in July!

Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer. I don't think that this book takes place in a "wonderland" but it definitely involes a lot of snow, freezing weather, and ice. Lots of it. Plus, it's an amazing book! I do love nonfiction and feel in love with Christopher McCandless, the subject of this biography.

Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer. I loved this book. It kinda freaked me out a little because I read it during a huge snow storm, but it really caused me to think about whether or not I'd be prepared to live after a natural disaster. This book doesn't start out as a wintery read, but is covered in snow and subzero temps by the time it's done. It's a fantastic read!

The White Darkness by Geraldine Mccaughrean. This book will bring you to the Antarctic--One place I have no desire to go. The main character of this read, Sym, is obsessed with the men who explored the South Pole. Her uncle surprises her with a trip to that will take her directly to this ice-covered land, but once she gets there reality seems to slip further and further away from Sym. This book won the Printz Award.

Shackleton's Stowaway by Victoria McKernan. I have not yet read this book, but I have read a lot about it. It's been on a lot of Good for Guys book lists. I've read the description a few times at the book store, and it actually sounds pretty interesting. It's based on a true story (another Antarctic adventure) and it's told in a journal-style format, which I usually enjoy.

The Trap by John Smelcer. As I was writing this post, I remembered this book. I already had my five, but I need to talk about this read. It's both a gripping story and is loved by lots and lots of my reluctant boy readers--a tough audience to please. The story takes place in Alaska and is told in a series of back and forth narrations between a teen boy named Johnny Least-Weasel and his grandfather, Albert. Albert is getting older and has been gone too long checking his trap line. Albert is in a bad situation and needs his grandson to come and find him. This story is a bit of a thriller because you don't know if Johnny is going to make find his grandfather in time. I loved both characters and so have many of my students!