Sunday, February 13, 2011

Movie Review: Gnomeo and Juliet

This movie is full of awesome. It's funny and adorable and interesting and even somewhat close to the original Romeo and Juliet, given the complete transformation in, um, actors and setting.

I'm not going to rehash the entire plot for you here because, well, you can kinda tell what it's all about from the commercials and from your working knowledge of Romeo and Juliet. Star-crossed lovers, feuding families, mixed messages leading to confusion and tragedy. It's all there. Shakespeare himself even makes an appearance.

But, if you have any reservations about seeing this and you're not completely uptight and against changing the Bard's original texts, go for it. I loved it, my teacher friend loved it, and the adorable 5 year-old stranger sitting next to us rolled with laughter and delight throughout. What a superbly excellent introduction to Shakespeare for that little guy, I think!

9 comments:

  1. I'm working on a Shakespeare and the Cinema unit right now. Lion King and Hamlet, The Taming of the Shrew and 10 Things I hate about you and The Tempest and Forbidden Planet. Now I want to go see this and maybe use it instead of one of my other pairings :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bridget: You TOTALLY should! It's really good. Let me know what you think/ end up doing so I can steal your ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear this one is good; it looks fun from watching the trailers

    ReplyDelete
  4. I may try it out! I love Shakespeare adaptations--the wackier, the better. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm hearing nothing but good things about this movie, so may have to go see it. Thanks for the great recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love animated movies, my daughter and I are both looking forward to seeing this one =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so adorable! I really can't wait to see it. Glad to know that you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to know about this movie. I was confused about it but this review helped me a lot. I will soon plan to rent a DVD of this movie or will search online.
    Gnomeo and Juliet Soundtrack

    ReplyDelete
  9. I watched this movie and I love it, perfect for children too. :)

    Philippines movies

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails