Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Audio Book Review: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Like most of you, I've already read The Hunger Games series. Several times. In fact, I'm gearing up (with my new student teacher) to read it again--this time for an extremely excited group of juniors. To get ready, I often prepare myself to teach books I've already taught by listening to the audio version. And, audible.com is having a sale on this book (and others that are firsts in series--sale ends 2/8). It was meant to be. Kismet.

I do love this story, as evidenced by my choice to teach it for three years and to read the entire series. I've know of the audio version for some time, but never purchased it because I do not love the voice of the reader. Her name is Carolyn McCormick and I have nothing against her personally. I'm sure that her voice would be great for any number of characters, but it just doesn't fit for Katniss. Or Haymitch. Or Peeta. She's okay for Rue, though, which was surprising to me.

That said, once the narrative got going, I didn't notice anymore. So, I either got used to Ms. McCormick's reading style and voice or I just got so caught up in the story that my brain no longer cared. There is one particular part that I really enjoyed, and this was unexpected. It's something that I often have trouble with when I read to myself alone (or in front of my students). It's music.

I am not a great singer. I am horribly bad. People cringe. So, when there's music or a song in a book, I don't know how to perform that part without ruining the entire scene. When Katniss sings to Rue her mournful dirge, I read it like a poem to my students. Or I ask for a volunteer to sing. But it always takes away from the moment. In this audio version, Ms. McCormick does a very nice job of singing and keeping the tone of the scene. I thank her for this and actually wrote down the time in the reading so that I can play it for students. It's worth the $5 I paid for this recording!

Overall, I wouldn't urge you to rush out and buy this reading, but it is not bad. It's not even kinda bad. I loved listening to this story while doing laundry and dishes and cooking dinner. It was great to be immersed in this story once more. Can't get enough of the Girl on Fire!

Details
Reader: Carolyn McCormick
Length: 11 hrs 10 minutes

**This audio book counts toward my participation in the 2011 Audio Book Challenge from Teresa's Reading Corner and Whisper Stories in My Ear Audio Book Challenge**

19 comments:

  1. I think I'm one of the only people who loved Carolyn McCormick's reading. There is just something so soothing about her voice to me and I think that added to the poetry of the writing despite the horrid violence of it all.

    Many people thought her voice was too old to be a first person narrator for a teenage girl. But to me, I don't know if the words would have had as much impact coming from a teenage narrator. It's such a paradox, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed THG audiobooks, but I listened to them before I read them. I felt like the reader was haunting and It didnt even occur to me that she was older than Katniss. But I don't think of Katniss as a 15 year old girl.

    I agree that a bad reader can ruin a good book. One of my fave series is the vampire academy. I got the audiobooks and couldn't even finish the first one because the reader drove me crazy. She wasn't the voice I imagined Rose to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a nice way to "reread" a book. A totally different perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is very nice! I've known a site where i can download it for free.There are also books available for children, teens, and adults. These books are also a great way to help learn a foreign language, or improve your English skills. Learn about history or art. If you can think about it, there is probably a free audio book available for download in this site : downloadaudiobooksfree.net.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't listened to this one yet, but I was able to get it at audible.com's first in a series sale. So many people have raved about it that I had to give it a try. Hopefully it will be okay since I haven't read them yet.

    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That audible sale made my ipod very happy! I read The Hunger Games a while ago and loved it but I forgot about the song, I would love to hear it and I think I will go take some more advantage of the sale... Also, I have nominated you for an award <a href="http://baffledbooks.wordpress.com/2011/02/03/sharing-the-love/>here</a>. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very happy I found your site. Will note it and return for more info.

    cheap clomid

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree. I am not a fan of Carolyn McCormick's reading voice. She over-emphasizes every syllable and vowel. It is especially frustrating as I just finished the Dragon Tattoo series and the reader, Martin Wenner, has what I consider, the perfect audiobook reading voice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. She sounds like she's reading the book to a 5 year old or a person who's just started learning english. She reads so slowly and like Anon above mentioned- emphasizes every single syllable. Very strange.

    ReplyDelete
  10. shes TERRIBLE. make me cringe and lose interest. she sounds like she's from the 1950's and reading to a bunch of retards. i guess ill just buy the books now

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I would have enjoyed the books a lot more had I not listened to them. I do not like the narrator's delivery or the direction she was given. There was no sincerity in her voice, and I've never gotten the feeling that she was emotionally involved in the story or characters. These books are gritty and innocent, desolate and hopeful. I get none of that from the clipped and over-enunciated audio.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This process is usually favoured by people newer to internet
    marketing and business, as those who have been running an internet business realise that delivering products
    manually will not only take up all of your spare time, but will eventually lead to many disgruntled customers, and a number of customers
    thinking they've been scammed. I can attest to that, but I have one major problem: I cannot afford to keep on paying up to $14 for every book that I want to read. So, without spending any money (assuming you already had a computer), you have your equipment.

    my web site :: free pdf ebook download

    ReplyDelete
  13. 5- The real truth about whenever and approaches to use each of those dumbbells and equipments to put on excellent
    muscle quickly. If you would definitely be a true beginner to figuring out to gain muscular, you will need to begin your
    workouts inside the gym or health and fitness center to
    use trainers and other staff to support and teach anyone setup your schooling routine.
    It will never feature large degrees of filler information, or even lengthy explanations.


    My blog post ... Somanabolic Muscle Maximizer Results

    ReplyDelete
  14. The momentum for Macklemore & Ryan Lewis' 'Thrift Shop' continues to rise, as the band sits atop the Ultimate Song Chart for a third straight week. Or do you need to calm down most of the time due to stress caused by various factors. Tina Turner has earned the title The Queen of Rock 'n' Roll for her numerous awards and achievements in the rock music genre.

    Also visit my blog - Top 20 Music Weekly

    ReplyDelete
  15. Here we have the solution for every thing; our IT experts will provide you Microsoft free MCITP:
    Enterprise Administrator questions with solutions. With the "information age" well under way, this is not surprising.
    It is sold through Click - Bank, considered the internet's most trusted digital marketplace.

    my homepage ... free pdf ebook download

    ReplyDelete
  16. Somanabolic Muscle Maximizer program is optimized for the U.
    When you've got added your details to the program, it is going to give you 3 diets to check out. Yes, obviously, it is the most affordable way of buying protein since all you want to do is to obtain those egg whites with a tray of offspring.

    Feel free to visit my web blog: Somanabolic Muscle Maximizer Results

    ReplyDelete
  17. The final of the top five free family blog sites listed in this article is Live - Journal.

    You want to sell yourself, not to degrade yourself. Occasionally, bloggers may decide
    to disable the comments section on their Word - Press blogs.


    Review my weblog; WP Social Press Review

    ReplyDelete
  18. One of the best young adult novels and just dystopian fiction I've had the pleasure to listen to. Such a good story and the narrataion is perfect. It's a trilogy I loved every second of and I'm so glad I picked it up.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Woah! I'm really enjoying the template/theme of this website.
    It's simple, yet effective. A lot of times it's
    very hard to get that "perfect balance" between superb usability and visual appearance.
    I must say you've done a very good job with this.
    Also, the blog loads super fast for me on Opera. Exceptional Blog!


    Feel free to surf to my web page :: hvac Hartland Hartland

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails