Book Review: Fallout by Ellen Hopkins

Fallout is the third book in the Crank series. For those of you who have dutifully read Crank and Glass, you may be sad to learn that Kristina is not the central character in this last book. Instead, this poignant third book revolves around Kristina's three oldest children: Hunter, Summer, and Autumn.

Though Kristina's story is no longer the focus of this story, she is everywhere. She is present in the shattered lives that she created in her drug-induced haze. She's present in the addictive personalities and in the poor choices her children make while searching for someone to care for them. She's there when they are trying to make it through the day-to-day struggles that are sometimes too much to bare.

I love that Ellen Hopkins took Kristina and put her in the background. As every family member, friend, or lover of an addict knows, the person with a drug habit is not the only one to suffer the consequences of a drug affair. Certainly, Kristina's children have done well to overcome the huge obstacles placed in their way by their never-there mother, but this book also shows just how deeply these children are scarred because of their parents' choices.

I can think of no better book to offer to a student or adult child who is dealing with a family member or loved one who is lost to drugs. I know that I have several students who are already clamoring to read this book. I don't blame them. The narrative verse in this book is outstanding. It is sure to pull in even the most reluctant of readers. I have already ordered an extra copy for my classroom. I have a feeling that I'm going to need it.

**Read as part of a tour from Around the World ARC Tours**