Summer Break Reading Challenge (5)

Today's Summer Break Reading Challenge asks participants to choose a literary heart throb that we've kinda fallen in love with. I have a few characters that I can talk about, but I have to admit that my heart is not easily won. My husband can attest to this! He had to work pretty hard to win this gal!

I like a man who's strong, independent, wise, and capable. These are my the top characteristics that drew me to my husband. I'm going to find a literary character for each of these four descriptors.

1. Capable. I don't necessarily like a guy who's too book smart, but I do like one who can figure out all of the practical problems in life that make my brain sweat. Like changing oil or fixing a dripping faucet. These little problems become big ones when you have no practical skills.

For this quality, I choose Gale from The Hunger Games. He's an uber-skilled hunter and miner and I bet he's going to show us just how practical he can be in the next installment of The Hunger Games!

 Word for Teens chooses Ben Barnes for this role. He looks about right to me.

2. Wise. This character is not necessarily an attractive one in the traditional heart throb sense, but his wisdom and kindness and patience in the face of great tragedy makes him (almost) heart throb-worthy. He is Papa from The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.  The way that he takes care of his family and imparts such wisdom to his foster child, Liesel, reminds me of my own father. He's a good man.
 I picture Papa looking a tiny bit like Robin Williams, but taller. And more German.

3. Independent. In my mind, there's nothing worse than a clingy man. So unattractive! Even though he is disturbed by the death of his girlfriend/ fling, Colton Morrissey from The Secret Year by Jennifer Hubbard is not what I would call needy. He is that strong, quiet type of guy. Now, this might not be completely healthy in a psychiatric kind of way, but it's refreshing to read about a guy who's not possessive and crazy about a girl to the point where she's smothered by him.
I would cast a young Matt Dillion for the role of Colton Morrissey. Sorry Old Matt Dillion.

4. Strong. Okay, so this word/ characteristic probably has a lot of meanings for a lot of people. To me, someone who is strong is not going to break down or flee or go crazy at the littlest sign of trouble. I like a man who can stand his ground. I also like a man who's physically strong. It's just nice for a man to have some muscles.

A character who fits this mold for me would be Patch from Becca Fitzpatrick's Hush, Hush. He's physically and mentally strong and does not run when trouble strikes home.
 I choose Kellen Lutz, who plays Emmett in the Twilight Films, for Patch. I'm actually pretty attracted to Emmett, too. It's so hard to choose!

Who are your favorite literary heart throbs? Join the Summer Break Reading Challenge and share your picks!