My Favorite Genres

Rebecca at Lost in Books asks "What are your favorite genres?" To join in on this fun little meme-y question, just click the link and connect with others who've answered the same question.

My favorite genres, under YA lit are:

1. Dystopian Literature: I love a good futurist tale. To me, this genre of literature requires such imagination, such precision that you cannot help but admire authors who create whole a new (imperfect and disturbing) world. I am partial to books like The Hunger Games.

2. Novels in Verse: Another huge challenge and testament of a writer's skill and craft is the novel in verse. I have an entire collection of these novels and even teach a few. I love it when a novel in verse uses spare language and text to create complex characters with depth. Some of my favorites include: Keesha's House by Helen Frost, all of Ellen Hopkins's novels, and Sold by Patricia McCormick.

3. Realistic/ Contemporary Lit: I think that there is enormous potential in the ability of contemporary writers to use their writing to influence teens and others who are dealing with difficult choices and life situations. I think about books like Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson and the amazing (as well as eye-opening) discussions that I've had with students over this novel. One of my new favorites is Hate List by Jennifer Brown. This book addresses the aftermath of a school shooting. I can't wait to find a way to incorporate it into my teaching.

What are your favorite genres?