Thursday, July 15, 2010

My Favorite Genres

Rebecca at Lost in Books asks "What are your favorite genres?" To join in on this fun little meme-y question, just click the link and connect with others who've answered the same question.

My favorite genres, under YA lit are:

1. Dystopian Literature: I love a good futurist tale. To me, this genre of literature requires such imagination, such precision that you cannot help but admire authors who create whole a new (imperfect and disturbing) world. I am partial to books like The Hunger Games.

2. Novels in Verse: Another huge challenge and testament of a writer's skill and craft is the novel in verse. I have an entire collection of these novels and even teach a few. I love it when a novel in verse uses spare language and text to create complex characters with depth. Some of my favorites include: Keesha's House by Helen Frost, all of Ellen Hopkins's novels, and Sold by Patricia McCormick.

3. Realistic/ Contemporary Lit: I think that there is enormous potential in the ability of contemporary writers to use their writing to influence teens and others who are dealing with difficult choices and life situations. I think about books like Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson and the amazing (as well as eye-opening) discussions that I've had with students over this novel. One of my new favorites is Hate List by Jennifer Brown. This book addresses the aftermath of a school shooting. I can't wait to find a way to incorporate it into my teaching.

What are your favorite genres?

9 comments:

  1. +JMJ+

    Well, these are three that I don't read about too often! I know I can't remember a single Novel in Verse that I've come across.

    Yet I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for Dystopian Fiction, because I love SF/F. On the other hand, Mrs. DeRaps, you seem to like them for the same reason you love realistic Contemporary Fiction! I guess a really good genre will be appealing to as wide a cross section of readers as possible. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice choices, Hattie! I love a good dystopian novel, too. Some of my other favourites: historical fiction and realistic fiction. OTOH, a slick mystery can be good to keep me reading well past my bedtime.

    Mardie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I almost picked Dystopian Literature for one of mine! I love books in that genre, including the Hunger Games.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree! I love these genres! I'm a huge historical fiction fan, too, but your three would be my top three, too. I refer to books like Speak as teen issues. My students this year devoured them. Have you read Columbine by Dave Cullen? He did an author visit at one of my schools this year because he is the uncle of a student and was captivating. All the kids were completely engaged in his story. He was actually in Colorado when the shooting happened and immediately drove over to the school and then since then researched and wrote a book. I haven't read it but I've heard it's amazing. And then, it makes me think of Tears of a Tiger by Sharon Draper...it's not about a school shooting, but it's about how students deal with the death of a friend in a car accident involving drunk driving.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your first two choices are not my choices at all but I do love realistic/contemporary literature! I also like literature set in the East specially those with an Indian flavor. I have found authors who write contemporary Indian based literature fascinating.
    Thank you for visiting my blog and commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. you just picked three of my favourites!

    novels in verse are just really awesome and usually bring out such a srong emotional response in me. I love Sonya Sones and Steven herrick is an Australian author who is just brilliant :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Funnily enough, these are my three favourite YA genres too! I love verse novels (which I usually find that not a lot of people do), which I discovered after reading Sonya Sones and Margaret Wild.

    Oh, will have to check out Hate List as it sounds like something I'd definitely be interested in reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for participating this week!

    Dystopian is such a good pick. I really like reading dystopian stories.

    I had not really considered novels in verse. So interesting!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails