The Book Habits Meme


I saw this meme on Amanda Makepeace's blog. She credits Walker of Worlds for it, so I will too.

I've been super busy reading for the past week or so and haven't felt like writing (interesting how this goes back and forth all of the time for me...). Now, I am emerging from a completed pile of books and want to talk. So, I've written a few book reviews in the past couple of days and have plans to write a whole bunch more soon. To tide me over, I think a little meme survey sort of thing will inspire those creative writing juices to flow.

Here's a little Q &A about my Book Habits

Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack?

Sometimes. I almost always happen to have a book in my hand, and if dinner just so happens to be served, I don't stop reading. (If I'm alone, of course.) Plus, I am a teacher. Breakfast and lunch cannot take precedence over getting work done. I am a multi-tasker to the extreme!

What is your favorite drink while reading?

Again, reading and beverage consumption have to go together, so coffee on week day and weekend mornings, water if I'm in bed. This is pretty much all that I drink.


Do you tend to mark your books as you read, or does the idea of writing in books horrify you?

Depends. If I'm reading it to teach or for a course, then yes. If it's for pleasure or for a classroom library, then absolutely not. I often will keep a teacher's copy of a book that I'm teaching with my notes and connections and ideas in it. It's helpful when I need to explain/ use it with students.

How do you keep your place while reading a book? Bookmark? Dog-ears? Laying the book flat open?

Definitely bookmarks at home. At school, I tend to use late passes from students who come in during SSR time (Silent Sustained Reading), which happens every day in my classroom for the first 15 to 20 minutes. Some of my SSR books are filled with passes by the time I'm finished with them!


Fiction, nonfiction, or both?

Both! All the time, back and forth.

Are you a person who tends to read to the end of a chapter, or can you stop anywhere?

I can stop anywhere. Another habit of teaching. Can't always plan to for a perfect ending by the time the bell starts ringing!


Are you the type of person to throw a book across the room or on the floor if the author irritates you?

Gasp! I would never, ever throw a book. I can't even believe that this is a question. Do other people throw books? What's wrong with just putting it down?

If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop and look it up right away?

Absolutely. Always. I love and respect words, and am always curious to learn new ones. Plus, I think that authors use words to create characters and scenes. What if I don't understand what the author is trying to capture or portray?

What are you currently reading?

I read about a dozen books all of the time. Right now, I have 3 book club books going, a book for a graduate course on literacy and technology, and about 6 or 7 other books. I'm almost finished with some and have just started others.

What is the last book you bought?

I bought 6 books from amazon yesterday. All are YA books. One if for a giveaway for the Chick Lit Book Club's last meeting of the year. I would say what it is, but some of the Chicks read this blog and I would hate to ruin the surprise! I am also thinking of offering a book giveaway on this blog, so one of the titles from this group of purchases will go to that.

Are you the type of person that reads one book at a time, or can you read more than one?

As I said earlier, at least 10 or 12 books at a time. I get bored otherwise.

Do you have a favorite time/place to read?

All of the time! Everywhere and anywhere!

Do you prefer series books or stand alones?

I like both. Some series books are well-crafted and need to be a series, but others just seem to drag on for me. I like a series that's done after 3 or 4 titles. But, I also enjoy a well-written stand alone title.

Is there a specific book or author you find yourself recommending over and over?

The Hunger Games has appealed to almost every student, teacher, and friend that I've ever recommended or taught it to. There is no other book (series) that has had such a universal appeal.

How do you organize your books? (by genre, title, author’s last name, etc.)

At home, YA has its own five or six dedicated shelves. Adult titles are organized by genre. I'm always arranging and rearranging my titles. I love books!

* * *

This was fun! Thanks, Amanda Makepeace for blogging about this meme.