Book Review: Ashes of Roses

Our April title for the Chick Lit Book Club is called Ashes of Roses and it was written by Mary Jane Auch. I have to admit that I was not super excited to read this book at first, but my anticipation grew as Chick after Chick approached me in our school's hallways telling me how much they loved it. So, After reading eight or nine other titles this week, I decided it was high time to get started. (Our meeting is in four days, so my procrastination had to end sometime!)

What I did not see coming is me wanting to read this book in one sitting. There was something about the voice and persona of the main character, Rose. Rose and her family ventured to America from Ireland in the steerage section of a huge ship in the year 1911. Rose is sixteen and has no idea of the conditions waiting for her in New York City.

After part of her family is sent back to Ireland due to contagious disease, Rose works to become a caretaker for herself and her family. She seeks out several jobs, but is only truly successful in landing a job at the infamous Triangle Shirtwaist Factory. I don't want to give away the ending of this story, but if you're interested in learning more about the tragedy that occurred in this sweatshop, this is a great site.

Readers who are interested in historical fiction may like this book. I don't know how, but the main character is interesting and dynamic. This is a great book for us Chicks to talk about and I can't wait for the meeting!