Dystopian Fiction Reading Challenge 2010


I've already entered all sorts of contests for 2010, but what's one more? Even better, what's one more that I'd probably complete just by reading all of the books I promised to read for other challenges? When I first started teaching, dystopian lit was not my favorite type of read. I think, though, that this was because there was a serious lack of great YA dystopian fiction to be had. Now, there are all kinds of amazing dystopian books out there, some of which are now my favorite books of all time. I love The Hunger Games series, the Uglies series, the Maze Runner, and have now started Chaos Walking series. Chances are good that I'll find more great dystopian YA lit reads as the year progresses.

Here are the specifics of this challenge as designed by Parajunkee:

Time Constraints:
Jan 1 2010 to Aug 24 2010

  1. Open to everyone (if you do not have a blog, just state in the comments section that you read the book and on what date)
  2. Any book format - Wiki list of dystopian lit
  3. Books can be chosen throughout the year, but must have been read within the timeline. Just because your read Fahrenheit 451 in 7th grade doesn't mean it counts.
  4. Sign-up below with Mr. Linky
  5. Post your reviews in the comments area
  6. Three Levels:
  • Level 1 - Experimental - 5 books
  • Level 2 - Addict - 10 books
  • Level 3 - Junkee - 20 books
Level 3 participants will get a dystopian button with their blog or name on it and entry into a contest to win The Hunger Games: Book 3.

Sounds great, right? Well, I've already started reading Incarceron by Catherine Fisher, so that's one title that I'll have read by the end of this week. Judging by my list of 75 YA titles on the right sidebar of this page, I have lots of other selections that will qualify as dystopian lit. I should at least earn the title of "addict" by the time the year is out!